intimates

Plays Well With Others...

Official NaNoWriMo 2005 Winner
My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States
E-mail me at: longhorntwice -at- hotmail -dot- com... All writings and photographs on this blog are my work. Give credit where credit is due.
daily polaroid
singleton muses






more singletons



My Amazon.com Wish List
Site design by:
Bonafide Style


Jun 1, 2005

Austin Landmark Gone
The Oasis, a landmark restaurant in Austin, Texas, known more for its amazing view than it's food burned down this morning.


The Oasis holds many memories for me. It was the place that convinced me I loved Austin before I started school there. It's where my roommates and I went to celebrate our first apartment together sophomore year. It's where I took all of my out of town friends, to show them exactly why I repeat over and over again how perfect Austin is. It was where were would sometimes stop to eat after a trip to the lake. It was where I had a couple of dates. It was where we ate lunch one day during graduation weekend. It is one of the places I was planning to take my cousin this weekend when he comes to visit and I take him down to Austin. It is a very special place in my heart.



The owner has already vowed to rebuild, but what a sad day. The Oasis had nearly 40 decks staggered on a hillside overlooking Lake Travis. The restaurant could seat 2,000 people and had a staff of 300. I truly feel sorry for the employees. I hope the insurance money covers a small payout for the employees so they can find other jobs. They were all just starting the crazy summer season, certain they were going to make a killing working out there.

The fire department currently thinks the fire may have started due to a lightening strike on one of the decks. Luckily, The Oasis is usually closed on Wednesdays, so it was unoccupied when the fire broke out.

I am linking to the Austin American Statesman article about this, but I know a lot of you won't want to sign up to read that article, so I am going post a couple of pictures here as well.






posted by Ty @ 6/01/2005
1 Comments:
At 11:51 AM, June 01, 2005, Blogger Ty said...

I am hoping they will just rebuild it bigger and better... {sigh} so sad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home