Plays Well With Others...

Official NaNoWriMo 2005 Winner
My Photo
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States
E-mail me at: longhorntwice -at- hotmail -dot- com... All writings and photographs on this blog are my work. Give credit where credit is due.
daily polaroid
singleton muses

more singletons

My Wish List
Site design by:
Bonafide Style

Nov 8, 2006

Hope Isn't a Four Letter Word
While I was at lunch, the world blossomed!

I happened to check in with the lovely Supa MB over at Supafine, and she broke the news to me that Rumsfeld stepped down! And then, on top of that, it looks like the Senate is going to the Dems, as well!

This is going to sound corny, but I seriously had tears welling up. It's not so much that the Dems won, as it is the Republicans lost. The Republicans that pushed a NeoConservative Christian Right agenda with pro-life written all over it, and bad foreign policy tainting our reputation with the world, and a president who didn't have to be responsible to anyone except his croanies because he always had the votes...A government that sincerely worried me. A government that had no real checks and balances.

I don't know if the Democrats will do any better, but they will, at the very least, bring the checks and balances back. The American people might actually be represented because a bill won't be passed via partisan lines. The Dems also have so much to prove. If they want any chance of winning in 2008, they MUST have a good showing in the next 24 months.

I feel like I have a sense of hope back today. Perhaps it won't last, but at least for a little while, I feel like I can breathe. Like the window of opportunity was thrown wide open and our chance is here.

Labels: , ,

posted by Ty @ 11/08/2006 | 1 comments
I Voted, But They Didn't Give Me a Sticker
I voted! I voted in my Red State. In my state where my opinions don't really count. Well, it doesn't count on a state level anyway. Every single state office was filled with a Republican. Even the State Agriculture Commissioner, who's opponent was a Democrat yes, but a Democrat who is actually still in the business of agriculture, which in my eyes seemed like a good background to be the Agriculture Commissioner...but like I said...Red State. This state is not as Red as it thinks it is, though. All of the State level races were rather close with only about a 10% difference in votes.

And Rick Perry did not win with a mandate. If you aren't from Texas, you may or may not have heard about our Gubenatorial race. We had an interesting one that included two very well funded independants, and a weak Democrat. Only in Texas could you have a candidate like this. Unfortunately, those two independant candidates appear to have pulled votes away from Chris Bell, the Democrat. Perry only won with 38%, and Bell was not that far behind with 30%. Kinky and Grandma Strayhorn took a combined 31% of the votes. That means 61% of this state had no interest in Perry for Governor. 61%!! You've gotta wonder what would have happened if we had had just one less candidate.

I will give my little part of the state credit, though. My vote wasn't entirely wasted here. Dallas County tends to lean Democrat, and this election was no different. My county voted for Chris Bell with 39% of the votes, to Perry's 35%. They also elected Democrats to every single lower court judge's position, and many of the local government positions.

At this point you are probably thinking, dude, she's a Democrat. But I would like to clarify something that seems to be a growing trend in this state, and this country. I am not a Democrat, but I am not a Republican. I have never affiliated myself with either party, because I have never agreed entirely with either party. This is something that seems to be a growing sentiment. Many people didn't vote for Democrats because they were Dems, but rather because they weren't Republicans.

A vote against is just as valid as a vote for.

But it brings up an interesting problem. There is a large part of this country (and this state) that do not feel as though their views are accurately represented in Washington. The Democrats are too liberal, the Republicans too conservative, and no one is riding the middle where the vast majority of Americans reside.

Why is it that we have but two choices? Why are there not more Kinky's and Carol Keaton-Strayhorns?

As much as I believe a vote against a candidate is a valid vote, it will never give the voter the satisfaction they are looking for. They still aren't represented by a candidate with their views.

This country needs a fiscally conservative, socially liberal party. We don't have one, and it is creating a great amount of discontent among voters. I truly believe if we had a strong party of that sort, the vast majority of Americans would fall into it.

Perhaps a shift is possible. History suggests it is. I just hope it happens in time to affect my life.

Labels: , ,

posted by Ty @ 11/08/2006 | 0 comments